Angela Bassett (born August 16, 1958) is an American actor who is part of the of American Horror Story repertory company. In the third season, Coven, she portrayed Marie Laveau, a Voodoo Queen. In the fourth season of American Horror Story, she portrayed Desiree Dupree, a three-breasted Freak Show performer. In Hotel she portrayed Ramona Royale, an immortal blaxploitation star. In Roanoke she portayed the actress Monet Tumusiime, re-enacting Lee Harris in "My Roanoke Nightmare."
She is best known for her roles in which she plays strong female characters. Her résumé consists of high profile films such as Olympus Has Fallen and Green Lantern. Most notably, she portrayed Tina Turner in What's Love Got to Do with It.
- Angela Bassett is one of the twenty-four cast members that portrayed the same character in different seasons. She portrayed Marie Laveau in Coven and Apocalypse.
- The others are Christine Estabrook, Connie Britton, Dylan McDermott, Emma Roberts, Evan Peters, Frances Conroy, Gabourey Sidibe, Jamie Brewer, Jessica Lange, John Carroll Lynch, John Cromwell, Kathy Bates, Lance Reddick, Lily Rabe, Matt Ross, Naomi Grossman, Mena Suvari, Riley Schmidt, Sam Kinsey, Sarah Paulson, Stevie Nicks, Taissa Farmiga and Wayne Pére.
- Bassett made her directorial debut with Lifetime's biopic "Whitney".
- Despite appearing in most of the episodes in Coven, she and Gabourey Sidibe were only credited as special guest stars. A possibility could be due to contract issues, similar to Adina Porter.
- In addition to being part of the Cast Repertory, Angela Bassett has directed episodes of American Horror Story to date. She directed "Chapter 6" of Roanoke, and also directed "Drink the Kool-Aid" of the seventh season, Cult.
- She is credited with the honorary "with" in the opening sequences of seasons four and five. In season six's ending credits, however, she's credited with the honorary "and".
- Bassett worked with another American Horror Story cast member Connie Britton, on another Ryan Murphy show called 9-1-1.
- Bassett studied the accent of a New Orleans's woman to perfect Marie Laveau's accent in Coven.