Each season there is a whole new cast with new characters, but often times there are actors who are used more than one season.
AHS Repertory Company
Though each season brings us a new story with (mostly) new characters, they are usually played by an ensemble of returning players.
- A dark grey cell indicates the actor was not in the season or is not confirmed to return to a future season.
- To keep the table in order, portrayals that exceed three characters per actor in a season are referenced. In particular, the difference between actual reenactments taking place in the episode (Roanoke) versus narrative portrayed on screen during a character's storytelling (Cult).
Some seasons feature well-known actors in prominent roles for only a single story, and are not considered part of the "repertory company" until they return for more than one season.
- Throughout the series, twenty-four cast members portrayed the same character in different seasons. They are Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, Angela Bassett, Christine Estabrook, Connie Britton, Dylan McDermott, Emma Roberts, Frances Conroy, Gabourey Sidibe, Jamie Brewer, Jessica Lange, John Carroll Lynch, John Cromwell, Kathy Bates, Lance Reddick, Lily Rabe, Matt Ross, Naomi Grossman, Mena Suvari, Riley Schmidt, Sam Kinsey , Stevie Nicks, Taissa Farmiga and Wayne Pére.
- Sarah Paulson and Evan Peters are the most credited actors in American Horror Story. As of 2019, Paulson featured in all of the nine seasons while Peters in eight of them.
- Throughout the series, five actors were credited in the main cast in every season they appeared in, regardless of the character's screen time. They are Evan Peters, Denis O'Hare, Kathy Bates, Cheyenne Jackson and Billie Lourd.
- Despite appearing in most of the episodes of Coven, Angela Bassett and Gabourey Sidibe were only credited as special guest stars. That's likely due to contract issues, similar to Adina Porter in the sixth season — she was billed as a guest star despite a major role in Roanoke. 
- Angela Bassett and Sarah Paulson also directed episodes. Bassett directed "Chapter 6" and "Drink the Kool-Aid" during the sixth and seventh seasons. Sarah Paulson directed "Return to Murder House" during the eighth season.
- ↑ In Cult, Evan Peters also briefly portrayed: Andy Warhol, Marshall Applewhite, David Koresh, Jim Jones, Jesus Christ and Charles Manson in on-screen representations of Kai Anderson's stories about infamous cult leaders that he told to his followers throughout the season.
- ↑ In Apocalypse, Evan Peters also briefly portrayed James March and Tate Langdon in "Could It Be... Satan?" and "Return to Murder House", respectively.
- ↑ In Hotel, Sarah Paulson also briefly portrayed Billie Dean Howard in the "season finale"
- ↑ In Roanoke, Sarah Paulson also briefly portrayed Lana Winters in the "season finale"
- ↑ In Cult, Sarah Paulson also briefly portrayed Susan Atkins in an on-screen representation of Kai Anderson's story about the Tate murders.
- ↑ In Apocalypse, Sarah Paulson also briefly portrayed Billie Dean Howard in "Return to Murder House"
- ↑ In Apocalypse, Frances Conroy also briefly portrayed Moira O'Hara in "Return to Murder House"
- ↑ In Apocalypse, Kathy Bates also briefly portrayed Delphine LaLaurie in "Apocalypse Then"
- ↑ In Apocalypse, Taissa Farmiga also briefly portrayed Violet Harmon in "Return to Murder House"
- ↑ In Cult, Billie Lourd also briefly portrayed Linda Kasabian in an on-screen representation of Kai Anderson's story about the Tate murders.
- ↑ In Cult, Leslie Grossman also briefly portrayed Patricia Krenwinkel in an on-screen representation of Kai Anderson's story about the Tate murders.
- ↑ In Cult, Billy Eichner also briefly portrayed Tex Watson in an on-screen representation of Kai Anderson's story about the Tate murders.
- ↑ Adina Porter clarifies her guest starring roles in American Horror Story on Twitter
All items (106)