Cody Fern (born July 6, 1988) is an Australian actor, writer and director.
Cody Fern took part on several theatrical productions such as the Shakespeare WA's production of Romeo and Juliet, Lindsay in the Black Swan Theatre Company's Jandamarra, and The Enchanters at the State Theatre of Western Australia. He also appeared on short films such as Western Australian Screen Award-winning picture Still Take You Home (2010) and The Last Time I Saw Richard (2014).
He appeared as Jim Mason in The Tribes of Palos Verdes and wrote, directed and starred in the short film Pisces opposite Keir Gilchrist in 2017. In 2018, Fern made his television debut in Ryan Murphy’s acclaimed The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story as Minneapolis architect David Madson, who was forced to go on the run with Andrew Cunanan. He later portray Duncan Shepherd on the final season of House of Cards in 2018.
Work on American Horror Story
He portrayed the Anti-Christ, Michael Langdon, in the eighth season of American Horror Story, subtitled Apocalypse. The following year, Fern returned for another major role, as Xavier Plympton, in 1984.
Cody Fern on his role as Michael Langdon
- "I think it’s important, first of all, to say that I understand there’s a separation between who I am and who the character is. But when I’m investigating who Michael is or when I’m in his skin, I’m looking at the world through his eyes. I’m not looking at it through the eyes of someone who is evil or malevolent, or who wants the world to end. I’m looking at it through the eyes of someone who is lost."
- "In his mind, he draws out the evil within other people. He tempts them and pushes their buttons and finds out how willing they are to go. [...] He’s drawing it out; he’s not putting it there. It’s not something that he’s done, it’s something that he’s revealed. So in that sense, he’s a very righteous character."
- "If you watch [American] Horror Story very closely, you’ll notice that Michael is drawn to very strong women. [...] When Cordelia walks up to the warlock school, he’s finally found somebody he can respect. So for me as Michael in this female-dominated world, it didn’t feel like I was playing in the gender dynamic because Michael moves so seamlessly between them. To me, Michael doesn’t have a gender. He’s very fluid in how he presents himself, his emotions, his sexuality and how he’s able to entice men and women. It was an interesting battleground."
- American Horror Story: Apocalypse is the second time that Cody Fern has worked in a Ryan Murphy's production. In early 2018, he starred in the second season of American Crime Story along with Darren Criss and Finn Wittrock.
- Originally, Cody Fern's role was kept a secret with a different name in the script: Elijah Cross.
- Cody Fern researched for the role of Michael, and read the Old Testament and Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead.
- The End - Michael Langdon
- The Morning After - Michael Langdon
- Forbidden Fruit - Michael Langdon
- Could It Be... Satan? - Michael Langdon
- Boy Wonder - Michael Langdon
- Return to Murder House - Michael Langdon
- Sojourn - Michael Langdon
- Fire and Reign - Michael Langdon
- Apocalypse Then - Michael Langdon
- Camp Redwood - Xavier Plympton
- Mr. Jingles - Xavier Plympton
- Slashdance - Xavier Plympton
- True Killers - Xavier Plympton
- Red Dawn - Xavier Plympton
- Episode 100 - Xavier Plympton
- The Lady in White - Xavier Plympton
- Rest in Pieces - Xavier Plympton
- Final Girl - Xavier Plympton
- Strause, Jackie (November 2, 2018). American Horror Story's' Antichrist Responds to Church of Satan Criticism: "He's a Righteous Character. The Hollywood Reporter.
- Harnick, Chris (July 27,2018). Who Is Michael Langdon? Cody Fern Is American Horror Story: Apocalypse's Villain (?). E!Online. Retrieved on 2018-07-30.
- Ryan Murphy announces Michael Langdon's Return in AHS:Apocalypse