Lamenting the state of society, Mutt and Jeff set their sights on a "brighter" future. An emboldened Michael plummets the Coven into their darkest hour, forcing them to gamble their hopes on the abilities of one witch.
Jeff is sick and tired of how the world is. He just wants it all to end and for them to start over -- and do it right this time. Miss Venable arrives and reminds them of their meeting with The Cooperative. She uses this time to ask Mutt and Jeff if she can have a bigger role in the company. They shoot her down and so she quits on the spot. After she leaves, Jeff tells Mutt that Miss Venable just gave him an idea.
In New Orleans, Mallory is trying to revive a dead bird but is having trouble doing so. Cordelia and Myrtle tell her that she's trying too hard. Mallory is concerned about Michael. Cordelia reassures her and tells her not to worry that she put a protection spell around the house. Downstairs, Zoe and Queenie are trying to teach protection spells to the other girls. Outside, Dinah performs a ritual and negates the spell. Michael and Mead emerge from the shadows and enter the house. The witches attack him, but he kills them, including Zoe, Queenie and Bubbles. Mallory wants to confront Michael but Cordelia knows she isn't ready. Michael and Dinah settle matters between them. Dinah gets paid by having her talk show greenlit for thirteen episodes. He heads upstairs where he plans to take out Cordelia. He's upset when he doesn't find her.
At Miriam's home, Michael is furious because they failed. Miriam reminds him that his destiny is to end the world with a reign of fire. She tells him that maybe they should change their plan. In reality, Jeff and Mutt are the ones pulling Miriam's strings back at the lab. Jeff is trying to convince Michael to end the world. Miriam reminds him that if he does bring on the apocalypse, he'll end the witches too. She tells him to think bigger. Michael suggests that he runs for President. He'd start out as ambassador and get close to the current president. Miriam asks him if he got this idea from the movie The Omen 3. Michael says yes but only because there isn't a lot of reference material on how to be the antichrist. Jeff passes over the reigns to Mutt who suggest through Miriam that Michael return to their lab and ask them for help. Michael reluctantly agrees.
When Michael returns to the lab, Jeff and Mutt hand him a list of names. These are members of the Cooperative. They also reveal to Michael that the Cooperative is really the Illuminati and that they've sold their soul to the devil. So, basically, Michael controls them. Jeff and Mutt encourage him to use nuclear weapons to end the world. Michael agrees but only if it'll also destroy the witches. Jeff and Mutt reassure him that it will but he needs to talk to the Illuminati first.
In Misty's shack, the remaining witches hide from Michael. Cordelia astral projects herself back to the house to see the destruction. She finds Zoe and Queenie's bodies. She breathes on them but they disappear. She reawakens back at the shack surrounded by Myrtle, Coco, Madison, and Mallory. She tells them that she couldn't feel their souls so she couldn't bring them back. Madison tells them what happened at Murder House and how Michael can erase their soul. Cordelia slaps her angry that Madison hadn't told her this sooner. Cordelia begins to cry begging that there must be something they can do. Myrtle replies that maybe there is as she looks at Mallory.
Myrtle explains that Mallory has the power to travel through time and she can go back and warn them. Myrtle says that the catch is that there is no documentation of another witch having done this and that most who tried died. Mallory agrees to do it. Cordelia fills up a bathtub with water while Myrtle tells Mallory about Anastasia Romanov and how she tried to save her family with a protection spell. They have to do a dry run and test Mallory's power so they are sending her back to save Anastasia. Mallory steps into the tub and Mrytle begins to chant a spell. The water turns black and Cordelia pushes Mallory into it.
Mallory appears beside Anastasia and helps her to create a shield between her family and the soldiers. It works but when Mallory lets go of her hands the shield disappears. Mallory is pulled back to the present and screams as she returns. She crawls out of the tub and Cordelia holds her close. Her face is dripping with blood that is running out of her eyes and nose. Later, Cordelia talks to Myrtle and tells her that Mallory will never be ready while Cordelia is still alive. Myrtle tells her that they aren't ready to lose her yet. Cordelia asks Myrtle if she'd tell her if she became like her mother. Myrtle tells her that she could never be her mother. Cordelia says that they should perform The Sacred Taking to give Mallory all of her powers. Myrtle rebuffs, telling her that the coven still needs her. They just need to buy some time.
Cordelia and Myrtle go to the Hawthorne School for Exceptional Young Men to talk to John Henry and Behold. When they arrive, they find that the school is empty. They walk into the sitting room and find a pentagram made out of the bodies of the students along with John Henry and Behold, all dismembered.
Ms. Venable is packing up her things when Jeff and Mutt stop her. They tell her about the end of the world and the Cooperative, and how they're going to build outposts so that the right people can ride it out. They invite her to be the administrator of the Outposts.
Michael is nervous before meeting the Cooperative. Miriam reassurances him. She tells him that it's time for him to do what he was put on this Earth to do: destroy it. He enters the meeting with the Cooperative and tells them about his plan to bring about the apocalypse. He also tells them about the luxury outposts he'll be creating so that their families will be safe. They begin studying the handy guide on how to construct an outpost.
Anastasia Nikolaevna Romanov
Anastasia Nikolaevna Romanov was the Grand Duchess of the Russian Empire. She is a character in Apocalypse portrayed by Emilia Ares. Anastasia was awoken one night when her father and other men were talking loudly. Her and her family were taken down to the basement where Mallory (using Tempus Infinituum) tried to save her but did not succed and she died.
Anastasia was a natural born witch and is shown to have mastered one of the Seven Wonders.
- Divination - One of the Seven Wonders, the magical ability to gain knowledge through indirect means.
- Spellcraft - Affinity for casting spells and performing rituals.
- Protection Spell - A spell that forms a pink mist to protect a person or area from harm or danger.
Nikolai Alexandrovich Romanov
Nikolai Alexandrovich Romanov (as known as Nikolai II) was the last Tzar of Russia. He is a character in Apocalypse portrayed by Mark Ivanir. Nikolai was talking to some russian soldiers one night when his daughter comes and asked what was going on and he told her to get the family and head down to the basement. Anastasia tried to prefent them from being killed with spellcraft but it did not work and him and his family were gunned down.
- Mutt: "Show some respect, bro. He's the son of Satan."
- Jeff: "Well, Satan might want to get a paternity test!"
- Wilhemina Venable (to Jeff and Mutt): "I have given you everything I have. Every second of every day. I've sacrificed any semblance of a personal life. Friendships. Family. I don't even have a decent hobby!"
- Miriam Mead(before shooting the witches): "I was built for this."
- Mutt (to Michael): "You don't need magic to destroy the world, bro, not when you have science."
- Jeff: "Math is way more powerful than magic."
- Mallory: "I'd do anything to bring back our sisters."
- Myrtle Snow (to Mallory regarding Anastasia Romanov): "Her power was not great enough to defy her fate. Perhaps yours is."
- Myrtle Snow (to Cordelia): "We all die, petal. Some of us make rather a habit of it."
- Myrtle Snow (to Cordelia): "Even if Fiona walked this earth for a thousand years, she would be but a flicker, pale in the shadows, while you light up the sky like a fiery conflagration."
- Miriam Mead to Michael: "Those people in there are quaking in their overpriced boots because they know they're about to come face-to-face with true greatness. You're the one they're waiting for."
- Michael Langdon: "The time has come to wipe the slate clean. Friends, it's time for the apocalypse."
Cast and characters
- Sarah Paulson as Wilhemina Venable / Cordelia Goode
- Evan Peters as Jeff Pfister
- Adina Porter as Dinah Stevens
- Billie Lourd as Mallory
- Leslie Grossman as Coco St. Pierre Vanderbilt
- Cody Fern as Michael Langdon
- Emma Roberts as Madison Montgomery
- Frances Conroy as Myrtle Snow
- Cheyenne Jackson as John Henry Moore
- Billy Eichner as Mutt Nutter
- Kathy Bates as Miriam Mead
- Taissa Farmiga as Zoe Benson
- Gabourey Sidibe as Queenie
- Joan Collins as Bubbles McGee
- Billy Porter as Behold Chablis
- FX Networks: Episode recap and reaction.
- According to Myrtle Snow, witches' powers only develop as fast as their cerebellum allows.
- Are Queenie, Zoe, Bubbles, and the other witches of Miss Robichaux's Academy really gone forever?
- Is Cordelia aware that Dinah Stevens helped Michael orchestrate the genocide of the witches?
- Will Mallory be able to resurrect her fallen sisters?
- What are Misty Day and Stevie Nicks currently doing together?
- Is time travel going to prevent the Apocalypse from occurring in the first place? If so, will the entire American Horror Story universe get rebooted, or just the events of Murder House?
- Who are all of the members of The Cooperative? Who among them are responsible for causing the thermonuclear disaster that would lead up to The End? Where are they after the events of the Apocalypse take place?
- Illuminati - Historically referring to an Enlightenment-era secret society. As in many other works of fiction and conspiracy theories, the Illuminati are often conflated with the New World Order and other similar organisations, supposedly controlling the world. As revealed by Mutt, The Cooperative was formerly known as "The Illuminati" and changed their name for branding purposes.
- ↑ SpoilerTV.com - American Horror Story - Apocalypse (809) "Fire and Reign"
- ↑ FX Networks, American Horror Story - Apocalypse