Beside his work, James Cromwell have really successful career. James is known for The Green Mile, L.A.Confidential, I, Robot, and The Artist.
Cromwell was born in Los Angeles, California, and raised in Manhattan, New York. He is the son of actress Kay Johnson and actor, director, and producer John Cromwell, who was blacklisted during the McCarthy era.
Cromwell is known for his tall stature; at 6 ft 7 in (2.01 m), he is the tallest actor nominated for an Academy Award. His son John is also tall, standing at 6 ft 8 in (2.03 m). In the 2012 film Memorial Day John played the young Bud Vogel, while James played him as a grandfather, and both Cromwells appear as the same character at different ages in season 2 of American Horror Story (2012), and season 1 of Betrayal (2013).
Cromwell's first television performance was in a 1974 episode of The Rockford Files playing Terry, tennis instructor. A few weeks later, he began a recurring role as Stretch Cunningham on All in the Family. In 1975, he took his first lead role on television as Bill Lewis in the short-lived Hot l Baltimore, and a year later he made his film debut in Neil Simon's classic detective spoof Murder by Death. In 1980, Cromwell guest-starred in the two-part episode "Laura Ingalls Wilder" of the long-running television series Little House on the Prairie. He played Harve Miller, one of Almanzo Wilder's (Dean Butler) old friends. While Cromwell continued with regular television work throughout the 1980s, he made appearances in films for his supporting roles in the films Tank and Revenge of the Nerds. He guest starred on the sitcom Night Court, playing a mental patient, along with Predator actor Kevin Peter Hall. He had starring roles in the 1990s critically acclaimed films Babe (1995), The People vs. Larry Flynt (1996), L.A. Confidential (1997), The Green Mile, and Snow Falling on Cedars (both 1999).
- He is credited with the honorary "with" in season two.
- He, along with his son John Cromwell, portray the same character, Arthur Arden in Asylum and Freak Show. John portrays the younger Arthur, as he is James' son.
- Welcome to Briarcliff - Dr. Arthur Arden
- Tricks and Treats - Dr. Arthur Arden
- Nor'easter - Dr. Arthur Arden
- I Am Anne Frank: Part 1 - Dr. Arthur Arden
- I Am Anne Frank: Part 2 - Dr. Arthur Arden
- The Origins of Monstrosity - Dr. Arthur Arden
- Dark Cousin - Dr. Arthur Arden
- Unholy Night - Dr. Arthur Arden
- The Coat Hanger - Dr. Arthur Arden
- The Name Game - Dr. Arthur Arden