He is a Level 3 Warlock along with his fellow cohorts Baldwin Pennypacker, Behold Chablis, and Grand Chancellor Ariel Augustus, all of whom sit on the Warlock Council. He has always been misunderstood by the other level 3 warlocks and mainly looks at the witches for guidance.
Personality and Appearance
John has short black hair and light blue eyes. He wears button-down, collared shirts with a tie and dress pants. He's very well-built and tall, he's the tallest among the four Warlocks.
He is a strong, smart man and trusts nobody; he is also the only warlock who is able to notice that Michael Langdon is pure evil. He is loyal to the witches and respects his superior Cordelia unlike the other warlocks.
The discovery of Michael Langdon through a police interrogation video puts John Henry at odds with his fellow warlocks with him being the first one to speculate that Michael's magic is dark, malevolent, and perhaps the result of demonic possession. He is rebuked by the warlock Grand Chancellor Ariel Augustus who argues that Michael may be manifesting the mystical traits of a very powerful warlock. Upon Michael being brought to the Hawthorne School, his warlock Level is evaluated a month after his enrollment. John Henry remains skeptical as the warlocks task Michael in performing various spells and wonders. Though Michael exceeds everything which was asked, Moore makes note of Michael's inherent disregard for the instructions given. Moore's demeanor is not lost on Michael however.
Witnessing Michael's immense power further solidifies Moore's reservations in the Warlock Council's decision in elevating Michael to the level of Alpha. Moore is however convinced by his superior Ariel to proceed in contacting Cordelia Goode and her Coven for Michael to undergo the test of the Seven Wonders. Before Michael partakes in the test, Cordelia is presented with a prophetic vision about the destruction of the witches and a demon laughing at her demise at the end of cannibals. The man resembles Michael and bears a demonic white face.
At the Hawthorne School, John Henry participates in a pre-test blessing of Michael with his fellow warlocks in preparation for his test. It is after the ceremony is complete that Michael, whilst being celebrated by his fellow students and instructors that from a distance, Moore watches Michael glance over to him and sees a quick projection of the white faced demon smiling at him.
Perturbed and shaken, John Henry packs his belongings feeling Cordelia's vision to be affirmed. He attempts to leave the school and contact Cordelia before Michael's test at the Seven Wonders. Behold Chablis in a celebratory mood sees John Henry's distress. Moore admits to Chablis that he also saw the same white faced demon as Cordelia. The two exchange arguments over Michael before Chablis is pinned to the wall by Moore's magic after trying to prevent him from leaving. It is here where Moore expresses a deep fear he has should Michael ascend to the level of Alpha. John Henry leaves the school heading straight for Cordelia.
Moore is next seen parking his car at a local gas station to refill when another car pulls up. An elderly woman exits her car and attempts to work the gas pump opposite Moore. She struggles and asks John Henry for help, which he obliges. John does not know that the woman is Miriam Mead, Michael's foster mother. As John assists Mead at the pump, Mead seizes the opportunity and slashes Moore's Achilles' tendons and throat. She then douses John Henry in gasoline and sets him on fire.
After Zoe gathers his ashes on the same spot, Mallory uses her Death Reversal to resurrect John Henry. He tells Cordelia, Myrtle Snow and Behold Chablis that a woman killed him. He lights the torches that kill Ariel, Baldwin, and Miriam Mead.
John Henry Moore is found dead at the Hawthorne School for Exceptional Young Men along with Behold and the other students. His death was reversed by Mallory who used Tempus Infinituum to reverse the events of Apocalypse.
- Telekinesis - One of the Seven Wonders, the magical ability to move things with only the power of the mind. John used it to throw Behold to a wall and to move an armchair that was blocking the door.
- Pyrokinesis - One of the Seven Wonders, the magical ability to manipulate fire. John used it to ignite three separate torches instantaneously by just waving his hand. These flaming torches were then used to burn the people who killed him alive.
- Divination - One of the Seven Wonders, the magical ability to gain knowledge through indirect means. He could perceive the true demonic face of Michael Langdon, behind his young appearance.
- Scrying - The magical ability to see things such as messages, visions, and prophecies one a reflective surface. This power is required by warlocks in order to be at level one and since John is at level three, it can be presumed that he has this power.
- Hydrokinesis - The magical ability to manipulate water and other liquids. John used this power to fill the bowl used in Michael's blessing test.
- Spellcraft - Affinity for casting spells and performing rituals.
- Unfinished Defense Spell - He was going to cast a spell against Miriam Mead but she killed him before he could do it.
- Behold Chablis, upon catching Moore smoking
John Henry Moore. Something must be grotesquely important for you to be stinking up my office with that cancer stick. I thought you quit.
- John Henry Moore
I quit every week. You might need one after you've seen what I've seen.
- To Myrtle and Cordelia upon his resurrection: "What I've seen, what I've learned is a matter of life and death."
- John Henry Moore is the fourth character portrayed by Cheyenne Jackson. For a complete list of his characters, see Cast.
- He is the second main character named John in American Horror Story. The first was John Lowe, in Hotel.
- He is the only major character in Apocalypse whose name had not been revealed until he made his debut.
- His car plate is California 30EB058.
- ↑ In Fire and Reign, he appears as a corpse
- ↑ Episode: Could It Be... Satan?
- ↑ Episode: Boy Wonder
- ↑ Episode: Traitor
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Episode: Fire and Reign