Kathy Bates is well-known for her versatility in films ranging from children's movies, ("Fred Claus"), to adult romance ("P.S. I Love You"). She is most notable for her Oscar-winning portrayal of Annie Wilkes in Stephen King's Misery, marking the second victory for an actress in a horror film (after Ruth Gordon in 1968's Rosemary's Baby).
She received a Tony Award nomination for her 1983 performance in the Broadway play ʼNight, Mother. She won a Screen Actors Guild Award for her performance in Primary Colors (1998), for which she also received an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress. She was also nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for About Schmidt (2002).
Her television work has resulted in twelve Emmy Award nominations, two of which were for her starring role on the television series Harry's Law. She won another Emmy Award in 2012 for her portrayal as the ghost of Charlie Harper on CBS comedy series Two and a Half Men, a role formerly portrayed by Charlie Sheen. In 2014, she won the Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Miniseries Or A Movie Emmy award for her role as Delphine LaLaurie in American Horror Story: Coven. In 2015, her role as Ethel Darling in American Horror Story: Freak Show earned her a nomination for the same award, along with co-stars Angela Bassett and Sarah Paulson. To date, Bates' television work has resulted in 14 Emmy Award nominations.
- She is one of the five members of the AHS Repertory Company to be credited in the main cast in every season she appeared in.
- Kathy Bates is one of the twenty-four cast members that portrayed the same character in different seasons. She portrayed Delphine LaLaurie in Coven and Apocalypse.
- Since joining the cast, she has portrayed six significant characters on the series: Delphine LaLaurie, Ethel Darling, Iris, The Butcher (re-enactment), Agnes Mary Winstead and Miriam Mead.
- So far, three characters played by Bates had supernatural connotations. Delphine LaLaurie and Iris were immortals, due to a curse and a blood virus respectively. She also portrayed The Butcher, a ghost who was the leader of the Roanoke community.
- Bates and Sarah Paulson are the only two cast members to appear in all episodes of Apocalypse.
- Kathy Bates said that Ryan Murphy resurrected her career.
- While preparing for the role of Ethel Darling, she perfected her Baltimore accent by singing the National Anthem in a Massachusetts accent every morning.
- She is credited with the honorary "with" in the opening sequences of seasons three and four.
- She is credited with the honorary "and" in the opening sequence of season eight.
- Cult marked the first American Horror Story chapter without Bates since 2013's Coven.
- Bitchcraft - Madame Delphine LaLaurie
- Boy Parts - Madame Delphine LaLaurie
- The Replacements - Madame Delphine LaLaurie
- Fearful Pranks Ensue - Madame Delphine LaLaurie
- Burn, Witch. Burn! - Madame Delphine LaLaurie
- The Dead - Madame Delphine LaLaurie
- The Sacred Taking - Madame Delphine LaLaurie
- Head - Madame Delphine LaLaurie
- Protect the Coven - Madame Delphine LaLaurie
- Go to Hell - Madame Delphine LaLaurie
- Monsters Among Us - Ethel Darling
- Massacres and Matinees - Ethel Darling
- Edward Mordrake: Part 1 - Ethel Darling
- Pink Cupcakes - Ethel Darling
- Bullseye - Ethel Darling
- Test of Strength - Ethel Darling
- Blood Bath - Ethel Darling
- Tupperware Party Massacre - Ethel Darling
- Show Stoppers - Ethel Darling
- Curtain Call - Ethel Darling
- Checking In - Iris
- Chutes and Ladders - Iris
- Mommy - Iris
- Room Service - Iris
- Room 33 - Iris
- Flicker - Iris
- The Ten Commandments Killer - Iris
- She Wants Revenge - Iris
- She Gets Revenge - Iris
- Battle Royale - Iris
- Be Our Guest - Iris
- Chapter 1 - Agnes Mary Winstead
- Chapter 2 - Agnes Mary Winstead
- Chapter 3 - Agnes Mary Winstead
- Chapter 4 - Agnes Mary Winstead
- Chapter 5 - Agnes Mary Winstead
- Chapter 6 - Agnes Mary Winstead
- Chapter 7 - Agnes Mary Winstead
- Chapter 10 - Agnes Mary Winstead
- The End - Ms. Miriam Mead
- The Morning After - Ms. Miriam Mead
- Forbidden Fruit - Ms. Miriam Mead
- Could It Be... Satan? - Ms. Miriam Mead
- Boy Wonder - Ms. Miriam Mead
- Return to Murder House - Ms. Miriam Mead
- Traitor - Ms. Miriam Mead
- Sojourn - Ms. Miriam Mead
- Fire and Reign - Ms. Miriam Mead
- Apocalypse Then - Ms. Miriam Mead / Madame Delphine LaLaurie
- ↑ Chi, Paul (November 22,2016). How American Horror Story Got Kathy Bates Her Groove Back. Vanity Fair. Retrieved on August 3, 2018.
- ↑ Nemetz, Dave (July 31,2017). American Horror Story: Kathy Bates Won't Return for Next Season's Cult. TV Line. Com. Retrieved on August 5, 2017.