Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta (born March 28, 1986), known professionally as Lady Gaga, is an American songwriter, singer, actress, philanthropist, activist, dancer and fashion designer. She won the Golden Globe Award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television for the former.
She was born at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City and is the eldest child of Joseph "Joe" and Cynthia (née Bissett) Germanotta. Germanotta, now known as Lady Gaga (she has attributed the inspiration for her name to the Queen song "Radio Ga-Ga"), went on to become an international pop star.
Gaga learned to play the piano by the age of 4 wrote her first piano ballad at thirteen, and started to perform at open mike nights by the age of fourteen. At the age of 11, she was accepted to the Juilliard School in Manhattan, but instead attended a private Catholic school in the city. She continued studying music and performing, writing her first piano ballad at the age of 13, and she held her first performance in a New York nightclub at the age of 14.
A few years later, Gaga was granted early admission to New York University's Tisch School of the Arts—she was one of only 20 students in the world to receive the honor of early acceptance. While there, she studied music and worked on her songwriting skills. She later withdrew from school to find creative inspiration. To make ends meet, she took three jobs, including a stint as a go-go dancer, while she honed her performance-art act.
Having two short roles in action movies, two roles in TV series, one major role in a drama-musical movie and releasing a concert film, she has 1 nomination for EMMY award, has won 1 Academy Award, 9 GRAMMY Awards, 13 MTV Video Music Awards, 2 Golden Globes and 13 Guinness World Records. Lady Gaga is recognized worldwide for her career as a singer and performer.
Work on American Horror Story
She portrayed Elizabeth, the self-styled Countess and carrier of a blood virus in the fifth season, Hotel, and the re-enacted Scáthach, a wicked ancient witch, in the in-universe documentary "My Roanoke Nightmare" in the sixth season, Roanoke.
- Elizabeth, a central character of the Hotel events, is her first role in American Horror Story, joining the crew as a main actress.
- She is credited with the honorary "and" in the fifth season's opening title sequence.
- Lady Gaga and Chloë Sevigny are the only two cast members to appear in all episodes of Hotel.
- She won a Golden Globe for her role as The Countess. She is the second main actress from the show to win the prestigious award, the first one being Jessica Lange for her performance as Constance Langdon in Murder House.
- She also appeared in Machete Kills with Cuba Gooding, Jr. as La Chameléon.
- Her make-up artist, Sarah Tanno created the look of The Countess, 'a bomb Daphne Guinness'.
- Both of her two characters are Immortals.
- Checking In - Elizabeth "The Countess" Johnson
- Chutes and Ladders - Elizabeth "The Countess" Johnson
- Mommy - Elizabeth "The Countess" Johnson
- Devil's Night - Elizabeth "The Countess" Johnson
- Room Service - Elizabeth "The Countess" Johnson
- Room 33 - Elizabeth "The Countess" Johnson
- Flicker - Elizabeth "The Countess" Johnson
- The Ten Commandments Killer - Elizabeth "The Countess" Johnson
- She Wants Revenge - Elizabeth "The Countess" Johnson
- She Gets Revenge - Elizabeth "The Countess" Johnson
- Battle Royale - Elizabeth "The Countess" Johnson
- Be Our Guest - Elizabeth "The Countess" Johnson
- Chapter 2 - Scáthach (re-enactment)
- Chapter 3 - Scáthach (re-enactment)
- Chapter 4 - Scáthach (re-enactment)