Karen Hopple drives to Camp Redwood to meet with Margaret and explain Richter's escape. Margaret does not seem surprised to hear about it, and insists the camp will re-open on schedule. Hopple suffers a blown tire on her return, and a truck intercepts her. Initially unaware that Richter is driving, she asks for a tire repair. He knows that she followed him to the camp and admits that she is right: he is a monster. He drags her out of her vehicle and snaps her neck before taking her ear as a souvenir.
Brooke is still shaken from her phone call. She hears on the TV a news brief about a murder at a gas station in Red Meadows, the same one they stopped at on their way to the camp. She says the Night Stalker is following her. The other counselors think she is overreacting. Margaret enters and reminds the counselors to sleep early, and not to fraternize between genders after dark. She makes a point of reminding the boys to clean away impure thoughts. Montana consoles Brooke, but says that she can't assume that everyone is out to get her. She describes her early experiences went sent to camp as a child, and that she should not imagine the worst.
The previous summer, Brooke walked down the aisle to get married, and her groom Joey is nervous. He saw his best friend, Sam, enter Brooke's apartment the night before and not leave. They insist nothing sexual happened, but Joey jilts her and shoots Sam in the head, killing him, then killed Brooke's father when he tried to stop Joey and then he killed himself.
Brooke insists that Sam was being kind and that they were simply friends. She is upset that no one ever believes her. Montana says that she believes her, and leans in to kiss Brooke. Brooke recoils and says that she needs air, walking away.
Trevor describes to the boys his experience with Montana, as they walk towards the showers. Xavier leaves to get his soap and towels. Xavier is grabbed and pulled into the back of a car, where Blake confronts him. Blake, who found him via his forwarding address, blackmails him into acting in gay porn. Xavier offers to find a replacement and leads him to Trevor in the shower.
Brooke sits on the pier and finds a dead body floating towards her feet, and turns screaming to find the Night Stalker. She overpowers him with an oar and runs. He is intercepted by the hiker, whom he disembowels. Later, the hiker rematerializes alive, only to be killed again. Ramirez pulls the hiker's name tag, which shows he was a counselor in 1970. Looking back up, the hiker has vanished.
Rita dances in the infirmary and turns to find Richter.
Brooke runs to the payphone but finds it cut. Montana finds her and questions what is going on. Together, they run in the direction of Ray's yell, where the men have found Blake. Xavier is distraught, but denies knowing who Blake is. Trevor discovers that Blake's ear has been cut off and they are under siege by Richter.
Margaret walks into her home to find the Night Stalker waiting for her. He wants an explanation for the mysterious hiker that will not stay dead. She puts on some music and gets her first aid kit to treat his wounds. He explains that he has killed men before, but never the same person twice. Margaret credits God with the hiker's resurrection, and says he has been dead for many years. To explain, she asks him to tell her the worst thing that had ever happened to him. He describes a difficult childhood of abuse and physical trauma. His cousin treated his seizures and showed him pictures of women he had killed in Vietnam, and his wife objected; the cousin shot her dead in response. Ramirez says that he likes Margaret, and she explains that he should not feel guilty for his actions if they are in service of God's (or Satan's) work. She tasks Richard with defending the camp and protecting the campers.
Xavier tries to get the van started and the counselors attempt an escape, but they collide with Margaret's car before they can get away, distracted by Rita in their path. She tells them that Richter is back. Both Rita and Trevor have vehicles that can take them individually, but neither has keys. They leave in two groups to retrieve them.
Margaret goes searching for the amnesiac hiker in the woods and, identifying him as Jonas, she says he might be dead. He does not understand, but the the last thing he remembers is running from blood. He says he left (the younger) her to die, and was hit by Jingles in the truck when he ran. Jonas said he didn't see Jingles' face, just heard his keys. Jingles killed him thereafter. They determine that he is a ghost and would have stayed trapped if the counselors had not brought him back to camp.
Rita's group approaches the infirmary, and together they look for her keys in the desk to no avail. Richter observes them from outside. Trevor's group can't find his keys either, and Xavier breaks down sobbing that it's all his fault for bringing Blake. Both doors are pounded from the outside, someone wanting in.
Joseph CavanaughJoseph "Joey" Cavanaugh is a guest starring character in American Horror Story portrayed by Spencer Neville. Joseph was always the second smartest kid in school and when he found out Brooke was the smartest, he got the other kids to stop talking to her. Brooke stops being the smartest and Joseph becomes the smartest and he takes her out for ice cream. Many years later, he asks her to marry him and she says yes. On the wedding day, Joseph accused his best man, Sam, of cheating with Brooke and Joseph shot Sam, Mr. Thompson, and himself.
Sam DukeSam Duke is a guest starring character in American Horror Story portrayed by Zach Tinker. Sam was Montana's brother and the only one who believed in her. Sam was accused of sleeping with Brooke and was shot by Joseph.
Mr. ThompsonMr. Thompson is a guest starring character in American Horror Story portrayed by Steven Culp. Mr. Thompson was Brooke's dad and when Joseph shot Sam, Mr. Thompson got up to save Brooke but was shot by Joseph.
BlakeBlake is a guest starring character in American Horror Story portrayed by Todd Stashwick. Blake was the blackmailer of Xavier after Xavier was in one of pornos. Blake was later killed by Benjamin.
- Margaret: "I refuse to let fear dictate my life."
- Xavier: "You gonna make us pray the boners away?"
- Brooke: "Don't have to imagine the worst when it's already happened."
- Brooke: "Nobody ever believes me."
- Blake: "That's no cock. That's an act of God!"
- Richard Ramirez: "I was poisoned before I even took my first breath."
- Ray: "My patients - they feel and hear. There's even an entire hit song written about it. Coma Chameleon."
Am I a ghost?
Oh, who am I, Dan Aykroyd? I guess.
Cast and characters
- Emma Roberts as Brooke Thompson
- Billie Lourd as Montana Duke
- Leslie Grossman as Margaret Booth
- Cody Fern as Xavier Plympton
- Matthew Morrison as Trevor Kirchner
- Angelica Ross as Donna Chambers
- John Carroll Lynch as Benjamin Richter
- Zach Villa as Richard Ramirez
- Gus Kenworthy as Chet Clancy
- DeRon Horton as Ray Powell
- Lou Taylor Pucci as Jonas Shevoore
- Orla Brady as Karen Hopple
- Todd Stashwick as Blake
- Spencer Neville as Joseph Cavanaugh
- Zach Tinker as Sam Duke
- Steven Culp as Mr. Thompson
- Xavier starred in a porn film titled “The X-Man Cometh”. The sixth episode of Coven was titled “The Axeman Cometh”.
- Along with “Drink the Kool-Aid”, this is one of the least-watched episodes of American Horror Story overall, with 1.49 million viewers and scored a 0.7 in the target demographic (18-49). 
- The Red Meadows (1945) - Dr. Karen Hopple was Chief of Psychology at Red Meadows Asylum where Benjamin Richter was incarcerated. Red Meadows is also the name of the town in which the gas station is located.
- Michael J. Fox, Tom Selleck - Xavier mentioned these famous actors when refusing to do any more porn films.
- John Holmes - Xavier tried to sell out Trevor to Blake by likening him to this famous adult movies star due to their similar trait. “Even bigger”.
- Karma Chameleon - Ray believes that this song by English band Culture Club is about coma patients being in a vegetative state and mistakenly calls it "Coma Chameleon".
- Friday the 13th - the name of the hiker, Jonas Shevoore is an anagram of Jason Voorhees, the hockey-masked killer from the Friday the 13th franchise.
- Dan Aykroyd - notable for his role as Ray Stantz in the Ghostbusters franchise, the first in the series having been released in 1984.
- Will anyone believe Brooke, eventually?
- With two killers around, will there be a Night Stalker vs Mr. Jingles?
- How much does the body count have to increase so that Margaret can have her peaceful camp?
- Does anyone who dies at the campsite, like Dr. Hopple or Blake, become a ghost?
- Is Camp Redwood a Hellmouth?
- Was it a good idea to split into two groups?
- ↑ AMERICAN HORROR STORY on FX (#902) "Mr. Jingles". TheFutonCritic.com (August 31, 2019).
- ↑ Spoiler TV.com, American Horror Story : 1984 - Episode 9.01 and 9.02 - Titles Revealed
- ↑ In True Killers, he appears in a flashback.
- ↑ In True Killers he makes no appearance, but is mentioned by Montana Duke.
- ↑ In True Killers, he appears as a body and in a flashback.
- ↑ In Red Dawn he makes no appearance, but is mentioned by Montana Duke and Brooke Thompson.
- ↑ In Slashdance he makes no appearance, but is mentioned by .
- ↑ In True Killers he makes no appearance, but is mentioned by Xavier Plympton.
- ↑ Metcalf (September 26, 2019)). Updated: ShowBuzzDaily's Top 150 Wednesday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 9.25.2019.. Showbuzz Daily.