As twilight broaches, the survivors brace for a final brawl.
Donna Chambers, sits in her car while she stakes out her father's apartment complex. Donna notices her father, David, and a woman enter inside the building. Growing suspicious that her father is cheating on her mother; Donna breaks inside his apartment. She approaches the bedroom door and prepares herself before she enters. Donna is shocked to see the woman tied to the bed and disemboweled. Donna also notices polaroid photos of mutilated women hanging on the wall. Donna tries to help the woman to stop the bleeding, but David enters the bedroom, carrying a knife. David is in disbelief to see his daughter and explains that he has been doing this for a long time. Donna promises that she can help her father, but he commits suicide by stabbing himself in the neck.
Richard Ramirez confronts Donna who is bewildered after witnessing his resurrection. He explains that Satan resurrected him and proceeds to tell her information about her father. Ramirez tells Donna that she is evil and should embrace it.
Xavier, Montana, Margaret, Brooke and Chet try to come up with a plan for escape since Blake's car is engulfed by flames. Xavier loses it and lights a large stick on fire. He wants to burn down the whole camp. Margaret knocks out Xavier, fearing he would hurt someone. The group takes him back to a cabin. Margaret suggests that they take a boat to get across to the other side, claiming to see two people camping the other day. Montana proposes that Chet will go with Margaret, much to his dismay. Once Montana is alone with Brooke, she attempts to strike her with an object, but is quickly stopped in her tracks. Brooke sees Ray through the window wandering aimlessly around the camp grounds. Brooke runs outside to speak to him and Ray is confused, stating that his mind is foggy. He can't recall what happened after he left on Trevor's motorcycle.
Margaret rows the boat as she has a conversation with Chet. The conversation becomes unpleasant as Margaret tries to force Chet to confess his secret. Margaret strikes Chet with an oar and he begins to struggle during the whole fight. Margaret slices his ear off and pushes Chet into the lake, leaving him to drown.
Brooke and Ray run to the mess hall. The two share a moment together. Brooke tells Ray her past and explains that she was always the best in her class. However, Joey Cavanaugh, her late fiance, always came in second and was jealous of Brooke. He started rumors which resulted in her classmates refusing to speak to her. Brooke purposely began to fail her classes and Joey soon became number one. He asked Brooke out for ice cream and they proceeded to date till they became engaged. Brooke admits she didn't know if she loved Joey or not. Ray tells Brooke that his dream was to become a doctor and he worked hard to get into the best schools. But, ultimately, he set himself up for failure due to his actions. The two kiss and eventually end up having sex, believing that they may die soon.
Xavier awakes and is incredibly upset over his face being covered in burns. He believes his dream to be on television and magazines is over. Donna runs into their cabin and is confronted by Montana. Donna admits that she released Benjamin Richter from the asylum. Infuriated, Xavier attacks Donna for indirectly being the cause of his facial burns. He chases her out of the cabin with an intent to kill her.
After Brooke and Ray are finished having sex. Brooke confides to Ray that he was her first time and she was saving herself for marriage with Joey. The two go to the fridge after feeling thirsty and Brooke screams after finding Ray's head inside. Brooke, afraid of Ray suddenly, runs out the mess hall. Ray slowly comes to terms that he is dead.
Brooke runs back to Montana, telling her that Ray is dead. Brooke panics during the whole ordeal. Unbeknownst to Brooke as she turns away, Montana strikes her in the head with an object. Brooke questions Montana/ Montana explains that she is avenging her brother, Sam's, death. She tries to strangle Brooke with a cord, but Brooke stabs her in the knee with a sharp object. Brooke races out of the cabin, while Montana quickly trails behind her.
As Donna hides in the nurse's cabin, she is greeted by Benjamin. He begins to extract bullets from his chest, telling Donna that he should have never been brought here. He explains that Margaret committed the massacre in 1970 and framed him for it. Donna explains she wanted to understand her father more and begs Richter to kill her. Richter refuses and decides that she should live to face the consequences. Richter leaves Donna alone in the cabin.
Brooke and Montana still continue to brawl in the night.
Richter finds Margaret in the archery arena. He throws his keys at her since she is the actual Mr. Jingles. Out of fury, Richter grabs Margaret by the throat and proceeds to choke her. However, Xavier appears, bow and arrow in hand. He shoots several arrows at Richter's chest and Richter releases his grasp on Margaret. As Richter falls and lays dying. Xavier asks if Margaret is okay and is suddenly attacked by her. She stabs Xavier and slices him open. She cuts his ear off soon after. Ramirez appears in front of a dying Richter, asking if he accepts Satan as his master.
Dawn breaks and the children on the bus are singing songs during the ride to Camp Redwood. As they approach the campsite, they witness a horrific sight. Brooke is seen stabbing Montana several times in the chest in the middle of the camp clearing. The police are called later and Brooke is arrested. Margaret stabs her leg and acts as the victim to the police. Margaret tells them that Brooke went crazy and killed everyone.
Ray, still in a daze, is seen by a paramedic. She takes his vitals and is stunned to find that his blood pressure is not going up. She straps Ray into a gurney to transport him to the hospital. However, once the ambulance leaves Camp Redwood, Ray is back on the camp grounds, upset because he wants to go home. Jonas appears and explains that the camp is his new home now.
A cop sees Montana and asks if she needs help. Montana takes his gun and shoots him. Ray confronts her over this. She tells Ray and Jonas that they all have the ability to take control of the camp now and they can do whatever they want.
Ramirez and Richter steal one of the cop cars and the two drive to L.A. together.
David ChambersDavid Chambers is a guest starring character in American Horror Story portrayed by Tim Russ. He was a serial killer and Donna's father.
David lived a double life as a loving father and serial killer until his daughter caught him with one of his victims. Ignoring Donna's psychological help proposals, David stabbed himself in the neck in front of his daughter.
- Richard Ramirez: "Just because something seems inconceivable doesn't mean that it can't be true!"
- Xavier: "I have breathed the fire of a thousand white-hot suns!"
- Xavier: "Burn it all!"
- Brooke (to Ray): "Did you hit your head or something?"
- Margaret: "Do you ever think about death, Chet?"
- Ray: "Don't feel like you have to change to fit into the world."
- Brooke: "Is everyone in this whole fucking place dead?"
- Montana: "I think I would know if I was dead!"
- Montana: "I know I seem pretty bitchinʼ. But I have moments of doubt too!"
- Xavier: "When you put me in that oven, you cooked up your worst nightmare, asshole!"
- Montana: "There's no Montana. Only Zuul!"
- Montana: "You guys are doing this purgatory thing all wrong. We can be gods here!"
Cast and characters
- Emma Roberts as Brooke Thompson
- Billie Lourd as Montana Duke
- Leslie Grossman as Margaret Booth
- Cody Fern as Xavier Plympton
- Angelica Ross as Donna Chambers
- John Carroll Lynch as Benjamin Richter
- Zach Villa as Richard Ramirez
- Gus Kenworthy as Chet Clancy
- DeRon Horton as Ray Powell
- "Red Dawn" is the only episode of 1984 not to include Matthew Morrison's character, Trevor Kirchner.
- Highway to Heaven - Xavier mentions a possible role on this American television drama series started in 1984.
- Robin Hood - Xavier played the leading role at the Stagedoor Dinner Theater, Tustin in 1979.
- Zuul the Gatekeeper of Gozer - Montana mentions this demigod monster from the 1984 Ghostbusters film.
- 'Red Dawn' is a reference to the 1984 movie of the same name, which was the first film to be given the PG-13 rating.
- If the police took away the counselors' bodies, why do their ghosts still haunt Camp Redwood?
- Will Margaret get away with murder again?
- What will the bromance of two Satanists bring in the City of Angels?
- Will the police believe Brooke since no one ever believes her?
- ↑ AMERICAN HORROR STORY on FX (#905) "Red Dawn". TheFutonCritic.com (September 17, 2019).
- ↑ In Rest in Pieces he makes no appearance, but is mentioned by Stacey Phillips.