|“||Salire per spatium. The ability to transport yourself instantly throughout physical space. Just pick a spot in the room, envision yourself there, and make it happen.||”|
|— Baldwin Pennypacker[src]|
Transmutation (also known as salire per spatium amongst warlocks), is the magical ability to move instantaneously from one place to another without physically occupying the space in between. It is one of the Seven Wonders, meaning all Supremes are expected to have mastered over this ability.
Ghosts do not follow the rules and laws of physics and are able to move instantaneously from one location to another (within the confines of the place of their death) without physically occupying the space in between.
Similarly, even beings afflicted by a blood virus have proved to instantaneously cover large distances within a very limited time span. Because vampiric abilities were never thoroughly discussed like witch powers, it can be inferred they simply move really fast.
Transmutation is the ability to teleport from one destination to the other. It is rather difficult to learn, and can be dangerous as a person could end up teleporting into another object, which would kill them, such as Zoe Benson. It is unknown how far a person can teleport to.
Myrtle Snow may have used it when she suddenly appeared to Zoe's mother and later when she disappeared from Zoe. Later, she uses this power throughout Fiona bedroom, while inducing her to suicide. Madison also demonstrated it when she teleported away from a blind Cordelia in order to mock her. In a flashback from 1919, Millie, a witch, transmutated away to escape the Axeman. Spalding and the Axeman used it as ghosts, but it was limited to Miss Robichaux's Academy.
As it is part of the Seven Wonders, both Anna Leigh Leighton and Fiona Goode must have been able to perform it, as it is needed to become the Supreme. Fiona was able to transmute in front of Anna Leigh Leighton in order to kill her and Leslie, a witch, mentioned that she passed the Trial of Transmutation.
Marie Laveau displayed this power when Hank invaded her shop and tried to kill her. He aimed his weapon, fired it and Marie disappeared. She appeared a few feet further with blood on her hands where the bullet had scratched her.
At the Trial of Transmutation, Queenie, Madison and Zoe, after grieving for Misty Day, decided to lighten the mood by playing tag. It all went well until Zoe accidentally transmuted into the gates and was impaled on the spiked fence, which killed her. However, she was later resurrected by Cordelia. Cordelia Goode was able to transmute across the room to demonstrate her ability in order to become Supreme. Papa Legba can also use this anytime, even across dimensions.
The young candidate for Supreme during the Seven Wonders skit was able to transmute behind another witch in a puff of white smoke.
In Asylum, Satan possessing Sister Mary Eunice would sometimes appear out of nowhere and disappear without a trace, as displayed in its attempts to terrify Arthur Arden, and when it was threatened with a razor by Sister Jude it instantaneously teleported a several feet away from her.
As an angel and the cousin of the Demon, Shachath can appear before those who should receive her kiss of death, after her mission is complete then she will disappear into thin air.
Ghosts in the Murder House could use this, but only on the property except on October 30th.
Michael Langdon was able to transmute around the room during the Warlock Council's test of his magical capabilities. During the Trial of Transmutation, Michael was able to transmute behind Zoe and Madison in a puff of white smoke.
- Witches and Warlocks / Voodooists
- Extraterrestrials – Accompanied by blinding white light and a gravitational pull
- So far, transmutation featured in all seasons except Cult.
- In the silent film depictions of the Seven Wonders, transmutation is portrayed as a puff of smoke when the witch or warlock performs it.
- It is possible that this power allows the user to take someone else with them, as Myrtle Snow disappears suddenly together with her albino guard, soon afterwards had left Zoe in front of the Miss Robichaux's Academy. When being attacked by Hank Foxx, Misty Day and Myrtle Snow suddenly disappear together.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Episode: The Seven Wonders
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Episode: Chapter 4
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Episode: Could It Be... Satan?
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Episode: Boy Wonder
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Episode: Bitchcraft
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Episode: The Sacred Taking
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Episode: Fire and Reign
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 She was a Supreme, therefore she had to have this power because it is one of the Seven Wonders
- ↑ Episode: The Replacements
- ↑ Episode: The Axeman Cometh
- ↑ Episode: Head
- ↑ Episode: Apocalypse Then
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Episode: Go to Hell
- ↑ Episode: Chapter 7
- ↑ Episode: Edward Mordrake: Part 1
- ↑ Episode: Edward Mordrake: Part 2
- ↑ Episode: The Lady in White
- ↑ Episode: Final Girl
- ↑ Episode: Checking In
- ↑ Episode: Mommy
- ↑ Episode: The Magical Delights of Stevie Nicks
- ↑ Episode: Traitor